The Neversink Fire
Department ladies auxiliary was organized on September 29, 1947 at the
Mutton Hill School House with the membership at 25.
Officers at the time were
President Ellen Slavin, Secretary Ethelyn Krum and Treasurer Clara
The purpose of the
auxiliary was to help raise funds for a Fire Company and a Community
The firemen gave us $25 to
get started. This amount was paid back the following month after
our first party and supper on November 7, 1947, held in the dining room
at Al Dubs Hotel. A turkey dinner with all the trimmings was
prepared by the members. The proceeds of a raffle, a crocheted
spread amounted to $102. Max Rubenzahl won the door prize (a
rooster he had donated). Max auctioned the rooster off and another
$3.50 was added to the treasury.
Our first dues were paid
in September, 1948. This was the beginning. Every little bit
counted. We sold cake left over from our meetings, conducted
raffles, cake and pie sales, dinners and finally movies and dances.
We rented the Rod and Gun Club Hall in Grahamsville for $15 per night,
paid $25 for the movies and $16 for the band. We started off with
one per month and because of the demand finally had one every two weeks.
Our little treasury was growing. Our purpose of course was to
assist the firemen. We gave them half of the profits of all the
dances and as our finances improved we started to supply the money they
needed to build a firehouse. Over the next three years we added
another $2,500. The fire truck at this time was housed at
Rubenzahls Coop. Our first chief was Moe Rubenzahl and the first
Fire Department President was Ed Slavin.
As we had no other
alternative, our meetings were conducted in each others homes and our
joint meetings with the firemen were held at Dubs Magrels Mutton Hill
School House or Neversinks School house.
On October 23, 1947 a
petition was circulating for Neversink to be recognized as a district.
At least 51% of the taxpayers must sign it before it can be presented to
the Town Board. March 4, 1948 the petition was presented to the
Town Board and a public hearing was set for March 29, 1948 at Allison's
Store. Women were urged to attend to uphold the petition.
For more information on becoming a member of the Neversink
Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary email
For a complete
list of the members of the Ladies Auxiliary click here.